2026/06/01 by Benjamin Savine · 1 voice
Earth and Planetary Sciences · Social Sciences · Arts and Humanities · #Archaeology and ancient environmental studies #Historical and Cultural Archaeology Studies #Medieval Architecture and Archaeology
paper · doi:10.11141/ia.71.10
York Archaeology (formerly York Archaeological Trust) was commissioned by the City of York Council to undertake archaeological investigations during the refurbishment and redevelopment of York Guildhall. Work on the Guildhall’s North Annexe took place between May and November 2020. Initially conducted as a watching brief, archaeological works were upgraded to an excavation once it was established that groundworks would affect a significant sequence of archaeological deposits, dating from the late 1st century CE to the modern period. Activity at the site began with the remodelling of land dropping down to the north-eastern bank of the River Ouse. By the late 1st century CE, the natural slope was cut back into a series of terraces onto which a succession of domestic buildings were constructed and periodically replaced during the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE. Very little evidence was forthcoming for continued activity at the site after the 3rd century CE into the early medieval period, beyond a small selection of 4th century CE artefacts, including pottery and four coins that were largely recovered from later deposits. Intensive activity on the site was not re-established until the late 11th or 12th century when the last remaining Roman buildings were dismantled to foundation level. The site appears to have remained fairly marginal throughout the 12th and into the early 13th century, with activity largely focused on waste disposal. The effect, whether deliberate or not, was to raise and consolidate the ground level by the mid-13th century. Documentary sources show that an Augustinian friary was established at the site by 1272. Reoccupation of the site in the mid-13th century is reflected by a substantial structure incorporating a large, edge-set, tile hearth. The appearance of large rubbish disposal pits demonstrates that waste disposal had become a more closely managed activity by the 14th century. It was also around this time that zonal activity became more clearly defined, for example a large stone-built wall bisected the site from north-east to south-west. This was perhaps part of a building that also incorporated a second limestone wall on the same north-east/south-west alignment that was found a short distance to the north-west. A graveyard was established south-east of these structures and appears to have remained in use until the 16th century. Following the Dissolution, the friary buildings were dismantled, leaving little more than their foundations. Soil accumulation predominated from the late 16th through to the 18th century, presumably relating to gardens at the rear of 10–14 Lendal, a pair of town houses built around 1714 (RCHME 1981, 155; York Conservation Trust 2016). Buildings again encroached onto the site from the 19th into the 20th century with the construction of the Guildhall's North Annexe and the Hutments.